Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Tro-Tros Explained (Ghanaian Public Transport)

Sofaline Station At Sunset   
Tro-tros are cheap, super convenient, full of ample people watching, and just wonderful. They are one of my favorite things in Ghana.




As I trundle down pothole filled streets in a metal box on wheels, I am often brought back to a conversation I had sitting in Mr. Dyer’s 7th grade history class. Ignoring his incessant off topic chatter, deep in conversation with Rachel & Grace about their deep love and desire to own a vehicle on the verge of collapse; putting out its last exhaust filled breaths, riddled with rusts holes creating a metal canvas reminiscent of an acne scarred face.

Here, I quite often ride in these vehicles. At first, I was mildly wary of these vans called tro-tros which with no doubt would never pass any American road-safety inspection. Yet, as many Obrunis before me, I have quickly grown to love them. Love the packed cars, filled with opportune venues of people watching and window gazing-I always try to grab the window seat to avoid the feeling of being in a moving sauna. The windows ebb the stifling hear of people packed like sardines in a trundle bus in the sweltering African heat.

Tro-tros are an ingenious way of getting around and are the main form of transport of many Ghanaians. Here having a personal car is a sign of great wealth, and they really are since these tros provide transportation all over the city. These privately owned vans, sent over here from countries such as Korean & Germany (you can usually tell where they came from due to tell tale writings in its first countries language) once they couldn’t pass inspection there.


(I wrote this back in October but never posted it. Yeah, being a great blogger is definitely not one of my credentials.)

No comments:

Post a Comment